As a reminder to tax preparers, effective January 1, 2011, all paid preparers – including attorneys, CPAs, and enrolled agents – of any federal tax return or claim for refund must have a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN). To obtain a PTIN, perform the following four steps.
- Create an online account at https://rpr.irs.gov/datamart/login.do
- Complete the online PTIN application.
- Pay the $64.25 fee.
- Receive your newly-issued PTIN immediately upon paying the aforementioned fee.
Before beginning the process, you will need to have the following elements of information available:
- Social Security Number
- Personal information (name, mailing address, date of birth)
- Business information (name, mailing address, telephone number)
- Previous year's individual tax return (name, address, filing status)
- Explanations for any felony convictions
- Explanations for problems with your U.S. individual or corporate tax obligations
- Credit or debit card for the $64.25 PTIN user fee
- If applicable, any U.S.-based professional certification information (CPA, attorney, enrolled agent, enrolled retirement plan agent, enrolled actuary, certified acceptance agent, or state license) including certification number and state of issuance