Intuit Announces Price Increases For QuickBooks And QuickBooks Online
On May 26, 2022, Intuit announced another round of price increases for QuickBooks Online, QuickBooks Online Payroll, and QuickBooks Online Contractor Payments. Additionally, the company announced significant changes in the QuickBooks Desktop platform. Read on to learn about these important changes to the QuickBooks Online and Desktop platforms.
Pricing Changes To QuickBooks Online Simple Start, Essentials, Plus, And Advanced
From July 1 through September 1, new and existing users of QuickBooks Online will experience a rollout of new pricing for QuickBooks Online. Specifically, the new pricing goes into effect according to the following schedule.
- July 1 for existing client-billed Simple Start and Essentials subscriptions.
- July 18 for all new subscriptions.
- August 1 for existing client-billed subscriptions of Plus and Advanced.
- September 1 for existing firm-billed subscriptions.
The following table outlines the new pricing for each of the four subscriptions.
Presently, there are no announced price increases for QuickBooks Online Self-Employed. You can click here to learn more about changes to QuickBooks Online pricing.
Increases To QuickBooks Online Payroll Pricing
Intuit’s announced price increases extend to ancillary services, such as payroll. Specifically, for subscribers to QuickBooks Online Payroll, the price increases from $4 per employee/contractor per month to $5 per employee/contractor per month. Intuit is rolling out the new price as follows:
- July 1, 2022, for existing Simple Start or Essentials customers who pay for their subscriptions directly.
- July 18, 2022, for all new subscriptions, including those added through QuickBooks Online Accountant.
- August 1, 2022, for existing Plus or Advanced customers who pay for their subscriptions directly.
- September 1, for subscriptions enrolled before March 1, 2022.
Pricing And Other Updates To QuickBooks Desktop
On September 6, 2022, Intuit will make QuickBooks Desktop 2023 available to accountants. Additionally, on September 22, the product will become available to the general public. Further, according to Intuit, all QuickBooks Desktop products “will be sold at full MSRP, with no discounts in any channel.” Moreover, Intuit indicated that the company would announce new pricing in early August for the Desktop product line.
Additionally, Intuit announced that QuickBooks Desktop Assisted Payroll and Desktop Enhanced Payroll for Accountants would not be available for new purchases, effective June 1. However, this change does not impact existing subscriptions to these two services.
You can click here to access an Intuit webpage that offers more details on changes to QuickBooks Desktop.
Other Significant Changes
In addition to the price increases outlined above, Intuit announced several other significant changes to the QuickBooks ecosystem. Among these are the following.
- Discontinuing the use of Smart Reporting by Fathom in QuickBooks Online. Effective June 1, 2022, Intuit will not include Smart Reporting by Fathom in any new purchase. Further, on August 1, 2022, access to Smart Reporting will no longer be included in a QuickBooks Online Advanced subscription. You may continue to use Smart Reporting, but such use requires a separate paid subscription.
- Price increases for users of QuickBooks Contractor Payments. Users of QuickBooks Contractor Payments will experience new pricing. Specifically, the monthly fee changes from $4 per contractor enabled for direct deposit to a total fee of $15 per month for up to 20 contractors and $2 for each additional contractor enabled for direct deposit. This pricing went into effect May 9 for new subscribers; it goes into effect on July 5 for all existing subscribers.
- For accountant-billed subscriptions of QuickBooks Contractor Payments, the monthly fee is changing. Specifically, it is adjusting from $4 per contractor enabled for direct deposit to $10.50 per month for up to 20 contractors enabled for direct deposit and $1.70 for each additional contractor.